OPERA-Note (OPENO) Case Studies

Here are some testimonials from actual customers.

Case Study #1
Hiroshima City Hiroshima Citizens HospitalOfficial Site

Started operation in July 2019

Key point

Reduced training burden and improved efficiency

At our hospital, we perform over 10,000 surgeries a year and have 70 surgical staff, half of whom have less than five years of experience. The problem was that we had to train workers after hours because we had difficulty secure time during day shifts. Therefore, we wanted to reduce the training burden by using video and digital tools.

Change after introduction

OPENO enabled us to encourage a habit of self-learning

Thanks to OPENO, we were able to digitize 232 procedural manuals numbering more than 800 pages. Making OPENO available on smartphones and other devices has also enabled individual workers to view their surgical schedules and shifts, which has increased OPENO’s utilization rate. Usage logs have also revealed that workers have embraced a habit of self-learning by checking their surgical schedules and confirming the relevant procedures in advance.

Case Study #2
Kyoto Okamoto Memorial HospitalOfficial Site(in Japanese only)

Started operation in July 2019

Key point

Created standards to prevent incidents

Since our hospital was relocated, the number of surgeries has increased rapidly, requiring us to raise worker numbers. As a result, 40% of our workers were supporting the other 60%. These circumstances led to an uptrend in incidents, creating an urgent need to improve our training programs and create a time-tested environment where clear standards can be shared.

Change after introduction

Better use of spare time; no more contact notes

At the time of introduction, we collated our knowledge and exchanged opinions with doctors. Since introduction, surgery preparations have become smoother, and part-time workers and those working shorter hours can now share information in their spare time. We have also devised a way to share daily communication notes on OPENO, which used to take time to update and check.

Case Study #3
Harasanshin Hospital, FukuokaOfficial Site(in Japanese only)

Started operation in September 2020

Key point

We got rid of disorganized manuals

At our hospital, we perform just under 5,000 surgeries a year. Our operating room, where patients are subjected to a great deal of invasion, plays a major role in ensuring safety. However, we noticed an increase in incidents and employee turnover rate, prompting us to perform a SWOT analysis of our operating room to clarify its weaknesses and strengths. One measure we took was to improve our training manuals, and we introduced OPENO in order to help get rid of the disorganized manuals.

Change after introduction

We created an independent, self-directed learning environment

Thanks to OPENO, newcomers who previously had to ask their seniors where to find the manuals can now prepare and study on their own, thus reducing stress on both sides. OPENO also enabled us to standardize our training manuals, which were original to each department and inconsistent. We have installed one terminal in each room so workers can check and input their OPENO status while performing surgery, which has improved the platform’s utilization rate.

Case Study #4
Japanese Red Cross Kyoto Daiichi HospitalOfficial Site(in Japanese only)

Started operation in April 2020

Key point

Improve daily learning environment, starting with the search for training manuals

Our procedural manuals were kept in files that were often lost or misplaced. They also tended to contain mainly personal notes that were not kept up-to-date, which was a problem.
When new nurses were going through their daily learning process, they had to search for training manuals. Some existed and some didn’t, some existed but were missing, some were not properly updated, and some had other materials attached. New nurses also needed to confirm many matters with their preceptors, and frequently had to wait until after the day shift for the preceptors to be available.
By using OPENO, we hope to avoid loss, keep information up-to-date, standardize forms and related materials, and quickly access procedural manuals and other necessary materials. We want to create an environment where workers can make effective use of their precious learning time.

Change after introduction

Under preparation

This content is limited to healthcare professionals.

The requested page is intended to provide information to medical personnel in Japan.
It is not intended to apply information to medical personnel and the general public outside Japan.
Thank you for your understanding.

Are you a healthcare professional?

No

* Return to TOP